All times are UTC-06:00

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:08 pm 

I have been using a Samsung 80GB HDD on Efika.

The harddisk is having problem initializing directly after a reboot or poweroff.

Efika will report that the ATA drive is not present (can't remember the exact message from the firmware). I would have to use hardware reset and/or reboot command in firmware, usually a combination of both to get the Harddisk working again.

Question is, is this the problem with the harddisk or is Efika failing to initialize the harddisk? Or it is just bad marriage?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:14 am 

I have the same problem with a Samsung 60GB.
but its not recognized even after a reset, so you're lucky :)
Maybe Samsung related...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 2:27 am 
Genesi

Hi Folks, to really understand what is happening we would need the exact same disk. We tested every 2.5' HD we could find and they are all working well. What is the *model* you have? There are different disk firmware which could imply different behavior. Please post the details here and we will see what we can sort out.

R&B :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:03 am 

Quote:
I have the same problem with a Samsung 60GB.
but its not recognized even after a reset, so you're lucky :)
Maybe Samsung related...
Glad its not just me. :D

Well, it is really rare that I get it up after one reset. Usually after a number of times.

Will report the exact model this evening.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:06 am 

show-scsi:
MPC5200 ATA controller:
Disk | | SAMSUNG HM060HC | YJ10 | SCSI-0

60GB Samsung HM060HC 5400rpm 8MB

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:17 am 

> Efika will report that the ATA drive is not present (can't remember the exact message from the firmware). I would have to use hardware reset and/or reboot command in firmware, usually a combination of both to get the Harddisk working again.

Same here with a

ATA device, with non-removable media
Model Number: SAMSUNG MP0402H
Serial Number: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Firmware Revision: UC100-11

There seems to be a timing problem within the HD driver. Sometimes the hard drive was working perfect in OF. Well, in 1 of around 70 cases it worked. Loading a kernal via Network/usb causes a linux installation to continue booting using the hard drive, so the harddrive itself is working with the Efika. This works every time.

Same harddrive with later hard drive firmware worked fine.

> Question is, is this the problem with the harddisk or is Efika failing to initialize the harddisk? Or it is just bad marriage?

I guess it's the driver startup itself. Even longer reset phase by using the Ikarus console as delay line didn't help here. I finally replaced my HD by an 80 GB Seagate.

Geit

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:48 am 

HM080HC
Serial No. : S0CCJ10LC04121

80GB 5400RPM 8MB

Rev.A - printed near the motor.

p.s.
Code:
channel 0 unit 0 : ata | SAMSUNG HM080HC | AM100-07
ATA device not present or not responding

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:09 am 

I find that having an USB keyboard plug in helps in getting the harddrive up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 2:22 pm 

Quote:
Maybe Samsung related...
Very probable, as I have the same problem with Samsung disk (30 GB one), but on Pegasos2. For Efika I use Toshiba Travelstar, which boots without problems.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 5:26 am 

I'm having problems with my HD too, not sure of the make though, and not in front of the efika right now.

Partitioned it and installed gentoo fine (from a net boot) but then I always got a device not present at boot up. Thought it had something to do with the way it was partitioned or something.

Will check the make tonight and get back to the thread.

Edit: It's a HITACHI DK23BA-15

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:14 pm 

Quote:
I'm having problems with my HD too, not sure of the make though, and not in front of the efika right now.

Partitioned it and installed gentoo fine (from a net boot) but then I always got a device not present at boot up. Thought it had something to do with the way it was partitioned or something.

Will check the make tonight and get back to the thread.

Edit: It's a HITACHI DK23BA-15
Do you have a problem with efika complaining that no hdd is present when you try to access the hdd after presented with the firmware prompt?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 6:41 am 

Quote:
Do you have a problem with efika complaining that no hdd is present when you try to access the hdd after presented with the firmware prompt?
Yes, I get a "Device not present" (or something like that, cant remember exactly) at boot.

Edit: You mean trying to boot (i.e. boot hd0) from the ok prompt? Yes, I couldnt boot but that may be a mistake on my part while partitioning and installing.

I'm waiting for a new disk to make some more tests.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:18 am 

Well, you don't exactly have to boot to know whether you are having the initialization problem.

Just plainly by
Code:
ls hd
will let you know. It shall not complain device not presents or what not. But give you some intelligent output; which is (IIRC) the harddisk make and the partition table and type. Correct me if I am wrong. Will check it later.

EDITED: ls hd will give the partition table and filesystem type. Not the harddisk make.

There is a WFM kinda 'dirty fix' to this problem. That is to plug a device into Efika's USB port. A keyboard, USB Flash Drive, etc. That helps most (if not all) of the time. :) Will need to do more purposeful test on that to confirm that. :)

Last edited by volumetric_display on Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:49 am 

Thing is I did partition the drive and copied stuff to it, while booted through the net from a linux pc.

The drive was previously on my laptop and had been partitioned there with linux installed. I just used the same partition table. Could it be that I need to partition it on the efika? (ppc vs x86)? There was nothing connected to the usb ports

I didnt try hard, but as far as I can remember I couldn't boot from it. Since then it went to my A1200 since I didnt really want to have this disk on the efika. (was small and noisy ;-))

Anyway, I've ordered and should have a hitachi 40GB disk by next week, so I'll try that one with your suggestions and report back here. Maybe we could track this one (bug?) down ;-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:30 pm 

I have a SAMSUNG 40GB and had no problems with it.